View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzile
Raider

re: help with ret spec

Hi guys.
just joind as prot holy pally
i have a very good full prot set as my main spec
a reasonable holy set that i am working on for my os
but an incompleat dps set as i can never get the hang of playing ret. any help that anyone can offer would be much appreciated as i would love to be able to do all 3 specs on this guy.

thanks very much

Bazzile

Spoldoon
Officer

The retribution concordance over at Elitist Jerks has all the information you'll need to know about paladin DPS. http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110342-retribution_concordance_4_3_voice_dps/ It covers everything including macro and addon suggestions.

In my opinion Cancklebiter would be the go-to guy for Retribution advice but I may be able to help in his absence.

The 3 most important things with paladin DPS in my opinion are;

1. You must keep yourself buffed with Inquisition AT ALL TIMES. It's a 30% increase to your holy damage.

2. Maximise your cooldowns. Paladin DPS revolves around our burst so you need to know when to hold back and when to let rip. Wasted cooldowns absolutely cripple your output.

3. Memorise a priority list. Paladins are a proc dependant class and quite often you will find yourself with 3-4 different abilities lighting up or coming off cooldown. Knowing which abilities take priority is essential for doing as much damage as possible.
whitemikki
Veteran raider

LOL dont swell Canck head it is already large enough as it is.

But DPS is more that just Spec, Rotation and addons.

I made a few posts a while back. Give them a read they talk about DPS mainly but in general I was trying to get people to think about how to set up and approach each fight.

http://www.rmwp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7469397&gid=37895

http://www.rmwp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7529236&gid=37895

Dont look at the posts as this is what I do, copy me. Think of them as this is how much thought goes into producing good results and see how you can approach and adjust it yourself.

And dont listen to Spoldoon, I dont give compliments out allot....and I am not joking I DONT. If someone does great DPS I look at that as expected. If someone does great DPS while executing the mechanics and fight flawlessly thats when i am impressed and Spoldoon and Canck and two people to watch and learn from as they manage to do both superbly.

Mikki
Cancklebiter
Veteran raider

I highly suggest the addon CLC Info. There are a few forums about this addon specifically for Ret Paladins. (Basically it's a highly customizable addon like PowerAura's that tells you what to use next in your rotation). Within the forums people will give a screenshot of what they currently have setup already take a look through what would be useful for you then just copy their exported layout and import it through the addon. You might have to do some small tweaks within the UI editor to get things layed out exactly how you want it or to make changes based upon new mechanics that are introduced (I.e. like the 2 piece t13 gives judgement a higher priority than exorsim because of holy point generation of it).

This will help with your understanding of the FCFS rotation.

Next I would practice when are good times to use wings/Zelotry and what you're rotation changes to during that (this is our burst damage phase). Basically I use those abilities everytime they are off cool down within +/- 30 seconds. This can make a big difference in a fight if you burst at the correct time. A couple good examples is that you've heard over vent that heroism is coming up in the next 30 seconds. Wait till heroism is poped before poping your wings/zelotry.

The last is awareness of the encounter and understanding it's mechanics. The first boss in the latest raid has a period in which you can't melee the boss. So to keep up some dps you can use exorsim + judgements to maintain your mana and continue to do dps. As well since it's a timed event you won't want to do things like refresh your DPS buff or pop your wings right before the event happens where you can't strike in melee anymore.

Gear wise the elitist jerk thread lays out your stat priority pretty well. Basically it's Hit > Exp > Str > Mastery > Crit/Haste. You basically just put all str gems in your gear unless your getting more from the bonus then use a hybrid gem to add some exp/hit/mastery. WoW reforge and Reforge light use this same priority and will reforge to the correct levels of hit/exp and then usually dump the rest of the reforge into Mastery.

I read a lot about rets on the net so if you have any questions about any of this or want to talk to me in game about it feel free.
bazzile
Raider

thanks very much for the advice guys i will have a good look at you sugestions.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Real Men Wear Pink Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: