View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
merrick

re: Real Men Wear Pink

The Founders Post

Ok, so here it is, my rough draft of what i can recall from early in the year 2008, and remember when reading that my version is more from the Ascension angle and less from the Order of the Nephalim angle. Hope you enjoy =)

Once upon a time in a land called azeroth....yeah im joking, rp is soo not my thing.

so, it began with a guild called Ascension, led by our fearless and heterophobic guildmaster Getheryon!! And his faithful sidekick Donair.

i joined roughly a year after the guilds conception, when i was very kindly invited to this small rabble of would be raiders setting their big sights on the Castle Medivh, or more commonly known as Karazhan.

Believe it or not back then id grinded all the way to level 70 without touching another character and i was known as kitty! i couldnt stand tanking and my skill was non existent, so when i joined ascension i was there to provide melee dps in abundance. That week was to be Ascensions very first trip into kara, so nerves were high, tensions were bubbling, and excitement was raging! Geth had handpicked a group he felt confident would smash its way into kara with ease, and to prepare, he had given class advice to every member, and even farmed lots of heroics with a newly dinged warlock named Gal.

So as you can imagine, this guild was small, it was a 10 man raiding guild, very close knit, and very nubile to the ways of end game raiding, and as pointed earlier, some very nubile to the level 70 expierence, Here we had Hellas, Arkanuz, Gal, Me, Donair, Gethryon, Arctica, Aylanya, Timonn and tilten, however, with an efficient and friendly and simply perfect manner, our guildmaster led us into the fray and we came out triumphant, clearing all the way to i believe moroes on that first night.

On a sidenote, it will never happen, but if the officers ever managed to convince gethryon to ever lead a raid again, u will find in him one of the most strongest and well disciplined and friendly and all rounded raidleaders youve ever come across, words cannot describe just how good at it he is, im sure the old ascension boys will back me up on that aswell.

Now if i backtrack to that first night very quickly, the plan gethryon laid out was set, except one small thing, the OT who gethryons plan hinged upon decided not to show up and i believe quit wow, that left geth in a pickle, and believe it or not over afew wispers he convinced me to respec and be a tank temporarily until he finds a replacer, its safe to say since that night and that chat ive been a tank ever since and its all down to this guy, yes i may of been truely awful at it, and i believe it took me about 2 months to realise tht swipe is actually a useful attack :P but i got there, and im forever grateful man.

Now as you can imagine for the next few months the trend of farming karazhan became streamlined, efficient, and most of all successful, within a few months we were facing Prince Malchezaar himself, and within afew more weeks he was tasting his infernals ballsacks. However this began on parts the small downfall of something so tight knit, as we wanted to set our sights higher, gruuls lair and maggys lair open for business, and we were still a 10 man raiding guild.

so afew members became restless with the farming of karazhan, they wanted more, they needed something bigger, and then the worst thing possible happened, i logged on to find Gethryon had quit the guild, our father figure, our glue, our master tactician had gone and left us, i know right what an ass :P

But, on closer inspection, it was revealed that it was a behind the scenes dispute between geth and donair, the two tht helped eachother run this home we coem to know and love, when geth left coupled with the issue of needing more members for 25 man content caused the guild to breakdown, it was such a monumentous shame, as we were going so well.

At this point i, among with half of the core raiders quit the guild with geth, a raid without him, a guild without him wasnt a guild at all. And there we were homeless.

This is where Arctica, the guilds former Lootmaster come Theory crafting genious stepped up to the fray and found us a new one within no time at all, with a word to afew of his friends within the guild they accepted this ascension rabble, and welcomed our experience with karazhan as we quickly learned they were having some difficulties there.

This new guild was called 'Order of the Nephalim' we quickly learned that this guild was no eden, it offered us no sanctuary for the veterans of drama recently passed, it had its own in fighting, and believe it or not was on the very cusp of oblivion, we learned this info all to late however as me and arctica had convinced our former gm gethryon to join the order and relax and enjoy the life of raiding instead of worrying about leading it, he very reluctantly accepted to join his old boys again, as apposed to departing into the sunset. If only we'd known wht issues awaited us in the order.

The Order was where the other half of rmwp founders come from, they include the likes of Cherme, Kotha, Iehi, Cotha, Deeth, and many more that i do not remember.

Now while in the order we were welcomed as i said for our experience in dealing with kara, we had a chat with the gm and laid out afew suggestions in terms of
mixing the experienced ascensions with the not so much order folks, we had come to agreement with afew things when the behind the scenes incidents were starting to boil over. We learned in a very short space of time what was occurring and that within a matter of hours the guild would be torn asunder.

Cherme and the guildmaster of the order were at the heart of it, two sides of the guild were aligning themselves behind each person, with information from each side, ascension made a choice, we felt that the reasons for chermes departure were valid, and that we didnt want to be in a guild siding with the guildmaster. So some quick planning went into effect and what followed was the regimental /guildquit of about 25 members, more would follow the next day.

For on that fateful evening chermes side of the order came together with ascension.

Now heres where the true fundamental spirit of rmwp came about, the thing that you all have a duty to remember everytime you log on and you know your in this guild.

obviously when we quit the order, gethryon did the same, however, as it took an age to convince him to join he was not happy, and he ultimately was going to leave for good, so, me and arctica had a chat and came up with a solution that would mean not only the return of geth but something that would carry on forever, ascension had just been through some big drama, for most of us it was our first big raiding guild, it was our home, we hated the drama of leaving more so than we care to let on, and then within afew days some major hate filled drame in the order, we'd had enough and we needed to put a stop to it!

we decided to establish a guild based purely on friendship before raiding, fun, before anything else, do everything in our power to avoid the things we'd just gone through, twice. we wouldnt and couldnt let it happen ever again.

At that point we knew geth would not return no matter the promises we gave, so arctica had the ingenious idea of appealing to him, showing him that we can create a home again, have new friends and on a scale capable of tackling the 25 man content, Arctica came up with the name Real Men Wear Pink

All it was, was a name, but that name represented so much more, it put aside all the macho bullshit, it put aside everything elitist present in all of us, even on a small amount, it represented fun, it represented a home, and the people in it represented a maturity and compassion and friendship that still exists today.

And as geth is gay it was a perfect tool to use against his free will :P muhahahahaha

So, off i trotted to darnassus, i chose darnassus as i love the city, and even the air is literally pink!!!

i asked everyone who'd left the order to meet us there, and they did, around 25 members were there at the foundation of real men wear pink, one of the greatest nights of my wow life, no one aside from the leader of the order 'cherme' and arctica who would be assuming the role as leader of the ascension half knew of the name, so the first 10 lined up, i handed them the charter for them to sign, and then over vent...real men wear pink??!!! ahh what hysterics, but that would not be matched by the crys of laughter from the discovery of the new tabard it was a prototype id quickly done up, exactly the same except slightly more girly pink, as apposed to the manly pink we wear now

Cherme joined as did Arctica, i passed on the leadership to them both, and Real Men Wear Pink was formed.

What followed was around an hour of exuberant fun filled talks over vent, ironed out the reasons why the guild is together, and to hope never to repeat the mistakes of the past, then as the night was getting late it was time for the sun to set on a perfect day as people needed to log off.

However, 10 decided to stay, 10 decided the night was too young, and to christen the new guild we set sail to Zul aman and had a true blast there.

We were all home again and it felt great =)

-Merrick the Fluffy Bear

P.S. im still waiting for geth to send me a pic of that faithful night when someone took a screenshot, it should still be on the old website so when i have ti ill put it up =)

Last edited by merrick on 2010/03/10 11:22; edited 2 times in total

Loved this story Merrick, as I have only heard whispers about the early days.But it cant have been Dalaran can it? As the guild was formed even before Dalaran was a thought in Blizzards feble mind?

btw: this is a nice thread to read as well
http://www.rmwp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2477976&highlight=&gid=37895
Bizzmark
Officer Alt Char

This is awesome. Thank you Merrick. You can all be very proud ... something truly wonderful came out of those events and the foundation on which this guild was built has really served us well.

It is really great to have some of the history.

Absolutely fascinating. In fact so fascinating i 4got my lunch break was over and got in trouble with my lazy boss.

The name is so important, cant speak 4 any1 else but i saw the name, looked like fun, visited the website (after visitin a couple of very strange sites cos i googled the name), guild raided...fun+raid=im in (at least i hoped) and was fortunate enough 2 b accepted.

Vix
merrick

shiza, aye its supposed to be darnassus :P freudian slip there

was wondering aswell if u could put it as an announce bizz?

glad you like it =)

Thanks Merrick for posting this so quickly.......I enjoyed the read its good to know a bit about the history.

Love your storytelling dude Happy it's nice!

The heroics farming by the way, for Ascension... wasn't really for gear, but because Karazhan still required attunement in the early TBC days: It required you to finish a LONG questline, including a handful of instances (see http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Master's_Key/In-Depth for details). The days before our first Kara raid were "tough" ... literally rushing people through the attunement, and then finishing on the Saturday afternoon: warlock Gal just hit level 70 that morning, and we played through lunch and diner just to be in time for the 7PM raid!

The Zul'Aman raid was awesome btw. We went in unprepared. Nobody had read the strategies. That was really awesome. I wish raids could feel that way all the time: not knowing which mob to target first, not knowing which mob was CC-able, or what their tricks are. It felt exciting! And then we downed the first boss, and I got my first raid-loot -ever- since my time in Ascension/RMWP! ;)

Oh I still have two videos on youtube from the Ascension days:

A failed Netherspite attempt, but really love that fight, still love it :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bInD8cH0Fys

Prince Malchezaar. This was the night I "came out" to the whole guild... I dropped some hints, but then in the small corridor right before we started on the Prince, I said it on vent, literally... and it fell silent. I guess no one knew how to reply (except for those who already know)... so, there's nothing special about the video, but it's the idea Happy -- I decided to break the awkward moment to just rush through tactics and engage :P (not our first kill of the prince btw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHqRpvsJM
Bizzmark
Officer Alt Char

Geth thank you for the videos was awesome.

MAN - Hellas - I MISS YOU! Come on. We where so close and now nothing. drop me a mail....I really hope you are well.

wow awsome story Merrick heard alot of it in last nights raid and enjoyed listening to it last night to :')

p.s Geth and Taka you got your wish my identity is now revealed :'D
Gethryon

Oh, actually, I just noticed that it wasn't even a failed attempt at Netherspite... we downed him :D -- had amazing healers, coz our strat was sooo flawed... awww, I miss kara raids now :P
Daelroth
Raider

That was a pretty awesome read, Merrick. ^^
I remember the ol' days, along with most of the names you've listed.
I joined RMWP when Kara was on semi-farm and Gruul was a good nights wipe.

It's funny really, The best thing about Scarshield Legion is RMWP.
If it wasn't for all you guys, i'd of probably moved servers years ago, or quit. ^_^
merrick

you summed it up daelroth, rmwp is turely a fantastic place, now come and raid some more!!! :P

Thank you for that Merrick.
I feel really honoured to be amongst people with such an awesome mindset.

Thanks guys, it's nice to learn where we came from.

nice reading brilliant can we have some more history now how did alexm become gm i love reading things from the past . Happy

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: